The Law Firm That New Yorkers Trust

Home » NYC Family Lawyer » Enforcement And Contempt Actions

What Does Enforcement And Contempt Mean?

During the process of your divorce, you and your ex-spouse may have negotiated on child support or alimony. You may have also reached an agreement about custody or visitation. Once a judge approves and signs these stipulations, it is easy to think that you have settled the matter. However, it might transpire that your ex-spouse refuses to adhere to the court order. They may choose not to pay child support after all or they may abuse the rules of your visitation schedule.

This is when a contempt or enforcement order may be necessary. If an attempt to directly resolve the issue with your ex fails, it may be better to bring your grievances to court. A judge can issue an order of contempt against your ex-spouse or enforce that they pay any support owed. Because you will have to prove that a violation occurred, enlisting the help of an attorney could benefit your case.

How Can I File For Contempt?

At Cedeño Law Group, PLLC, our family law attorneys have worked with many clients in similar situations. We understand the frustration you may feel and are here to assist you to the best of our abilities.

If you believe that a breach of your divorce or custody order has occurred, these are the steps you can take:

  • Go over the original order to ensure that there was a violation, a misunderstanding could have occurred due to how it was written.
  • Contact one of our attorneys to help you investigate and to represent your case should it go to court.
  • Inform your ex-spouse of your plans, knowing you are prepared to take legal action might be enough to persuade them to comply with the order.
  • File a motion, our attorneys can assist you with the details of this step and help you support your evidence at the hearing.

Conversely, if you are on the receiving end of a contempt action, our attorneys can still assist you. The consequences of a conviction could mean civil or criminal penalties. If you have been unfairly accused of a civil contempt, discuss your options with a lawyer at once.

Advance Your Case With Our Knowledge

Whether you seek to file a motion of contempt or to defend a false accusation, you will need legal guidance. An attorney can help you determine if you have a case against your ex-spouse or if the motion against you is unjust.

Take advantage of our attorneys’ knowledge of contempt actions and enforcement orders. You can advance your case with strong advocacy from some of New York City’s most reliable lawyers. Call our office at 212-235-1382 or send us a message to schedule your consultation today. We provide services to both English and Spanish-speaking clients. Hablamos español!


How Can We Help?

Get started with an initial case evaluation.

Fields marked with an * are required

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

© 2024 Cedeño Law Group, PLLC. All Rights Reserved.

Attorney Advertising | Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.