The Law Firm That New Yorkers Trust

Home » NYC Family Lawyer » Modifications

Divorce Modifications In New York City

Quality Legal Support After Divorce

After couples separate or divorce, circumstances are bound to change for one or both parties or for the children as time goes by. It is common for divorcing couples to experience new jobs, new partners and new locations. Additionally, as the children grow, their medical, educational, financial and psychological needs can change as well.

In a divorce, however, issued court orders are long-term, binding agreements between both parties. At Cedeño Law Group, PLLC, our divorce attorneys in New York City know that peoples’ circumstances can and do change over time, which means court orders may not remain agreeable. Thus, it is often essential to make modifications so that new and significant needs are met. If you need a modification to an existing court order, we can help.

You can trust Peter L. Cedeño with your modification needs because:

  • Rated 10.0 Superb by Avvo
  • Former prosecutor
  • 20-plus years of legal experience
  • Highly recommended by clients

Are You Seeking A Modification?

If there has been a significant change in your circumstances, or those of your ex or your child, then your situation may warrant a modification so that the new order can accurately reflect those changes. In New York, parties may seek a modification to an existing court order for the following types of court orders:

Either party has the right to file a petition with the court to modify an existing court order when a change in circumstances has substantially affected their financial situation. The party who is seeking to change an order must file a petition explaining the change and the petition must be served upon the other party. The court will hold a hearing to consider the change.

Circumstances a judge may consider when modifying child or spousal support include:

  • The paying party loses their job or becomes seriously ill and cannot work.
  • The receiving party substantially increases his or her income.
  • The receiving party receives a substantial inheritance or begins a new relationship, giving him or her a better lifestyle (spousal support).
  • The child’s needs increase.

The party seeking the modification bears the burden of proving that a change in circumstances warrants a modification by the court. This can often require extensive legal documentation and evidence, which means that it is in your best interest to have a New York City divorce lawyer on your side to help present your case. Our team can advocate for you to help ensure that court orders account for your needs.

If you are requesting a downward modification to your child support payments, note that your child support payments do not automatically change when your circumstances do. Even if you lose your job, you are legally required to continue making payments. In order to address your changing circumstances, you must make a request for modification.

Contact A New York City Divorce Attorney For Help!

We understand how important it is that your court orders are up to date and align with your current circumstances. Whether you are seeking a modification or need to contest one, we urge you to contact a New York City divorce lawyer from our firm. We stand ready to fight for your rights and use our knowledge of the law to enforce your rights through the local courts.

Schedule your initial case evaluation today!


How Can We Help?

Get started with an initial case evaluation.

Fields marked with an * are required

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

© 2024 Cedeño Law Group, PLLC. All Rights Reserved.

Attorney Advertising | Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.