The Law Firm That New Yorkers Trust

Home » NYC Family Lawyer » Name Change

New York Name Change Lawyer

Legal Guidance For Changing Your Name

Have you recently been married or divorced and need assistance changing your last name accordingly? Our New York City family law attorney can help you navigate the legal processes necessary for doing so. Changing your name can take time and paperwork, especially if you are facing difficulties in getting an institution to recognize it. At Cedeño Law Group, PLLC, we can help you protect your legal right to change your name.

Peter L. Cedeño has been focused on family law matters for 15 years. He has earned a 10.0 Superb rating from Avvo for his efficiency and dedication in providing high-quality legal representation to his clients. He has a comprehensive understanding of family law and the intricacies of its legal procedures. When you retain the representation of our firm, you can trust his effective guidance to help you legally change your name swiftly and painlessly.

I Was Impressed With The Knowledge That He Possesses In His Field

View more testimonials

Taking Your New Spouse’s Name

Couples who marry typically like to share the same last name in order to begin building their new family together. Traditionally, this means a woman would take her new husband’s name; many couples now choose alternate options. It is not uncommon for a man to take a woman’s name, or both spouses to hyphenate their last names.

Spouses may even choose new names altogether. Generally, a marriage certificate will be proof enough to begin using your spouse’s last name, but for any other naming route, a court order will be required. Additionally, you will need to provide notice to institutions that you are associated with for financial or legal purposes.

When you change your name, the following parties should be notified:

  • Employers
  • Schools
  • Department of Motor Vehicles
  • Social Security Administration
  • Post office
  • Banks
  • Creditors
  • Utility companies
  • Taxing authorities
  • Insurance agencies

Changing Your Name After A Divorce

Going through a divorce is an emotional and extremely difficult process, and we understand the desire for a clean start to begin moving on with your life. Many women wish to reinstate their maiden name after divorcing from their husbands, and typically, a divorce decree will be evidence enough. However, if you are looking for a new name altogether, or want to have your children’s last names changed, you will need to present the matter to court.

Traditionally, a court will rule that if a father continues to be a fit parent to his children after divorce, he has the right to have them keep his name. However, when it is clearly in the best interest of the child to change his or her last name, a court petition can legally do so. This requires convincing a court that a child needs to identify with a new name for his or her emotional well-being, which can be difficult without a dedicated lawyer.

Compassionate And Efficient Representation In New York City

At Cedeño Law Group, PLLC, we have made it our mission to provide individuals and families with the personable and sympathetic counsel that their delicate legal matter requires. We know that you are entering a new chapter of your life and want to help you take any and all measures necessary to begin moving forward. Whether you’ve just been married or have struggled through a divorce, our attorney can help you change your name and start taking positive steps toward building your new life.

Contact us today for a case consultation to get started!


How Can We Help?

Get started with an initial case evaluation.

Fields marked with an * are required

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

© 2024 Cedeño Law Group, PLLC. All Rights Reserved.

Attorney Advertising | Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.